WE’VE RECENTLY HAD JOHN FROM TAG TEAM SINGAPORE JOIN OUR HIIT CLASSES HERE AT FITNESS BRAVO AND IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO INTERVIEW JOHN TO GIVE OUR READERS MORE INFORMATION ABOUT LASER TAG (WHICH, BY THE WAY, IS A GREAT WORKOUT!)
So John, what is TAG TEAM and what is your role in the company?
Hi guys! TAG TEAM provides laser tag, sword tag and archery tag games at your preferred location or at our two indoor outlets – East Coast Park and Downtown East. Our outlet at East Coast Park is Singapore’s largest indoor laser tag arena, while our Downtown East outlet features the world’s first laser tag sword – Reza Sword – which you can use as a gun and a sword!
I co-founded TAG TEAM in 2011 (time flies!) and all I do at work is play laser tag. Ok I’m kidding! I take care of business development.
Laser tag has been around for a really long time, is there anything new or different with TAG TEAM?
TAG TEAM came up with different concepts for our various outlets.
Our East Coast Park outlet has two arenas – Mystery Room; fully air conditioned and sci-fi themed, is suitable for 4 years old and above. The other, a battlefield themed Battle Zone, is suitable for 7 years old and above.
Our latest outlet at Downtown East, which is fully air conditioned, features our very own Reza Sword and has a ninja theme.
I believe what sets TAG TEAM apart is that we constantly improve the play experiences with new technology. With our new unique equipment, we can easily customise games and showcase laser tag like never done before. This was exactly what we did for the laser tag booth at the recent Captain America Civil War Festival held outside Marina Bay Sands.
Do you cater for events and/or company functions? If so, what’s your most memorable experience?
Yes we do cater for corporate events. We have done many memorable events – from organising big-scale laser tag competitions, planning a Halloween laser tag event, conducting laser tag at Captain America Festival to personally hosting Prime Minister Lee to try out Archery Tag, etc.
One of the most memorable events for me, personally, was customising a community laser tag event for the youth participants of the Society for the Physically Disabled (SPD). Some participants were on crutches and others on wheelchairs. Together with the volunteers, we specially designed a laser tag ‘battlefield’ with the existing tables and chairs at SPD. This was done so that these participants did not have to travel to another location. We brought our lighter guns to allow participants to move with less difficulty. To ensure participants on manual wheelchairs do not lose out on the fun, volunteers wheeled them around to allow ’shooting’ of their opponents.
It was a simple event but seeing the joy on the all the participants’ faces made it very special for me. The mantra “No child gets left behind, even in play” was constantly etched on my mind when I was planning this event. Witnessing their laughter made all prior hard work worthwhile and gave the work that TAG TEAM does tremendous meaning.
5 Things that the general public might not know about laser tag.
1. It’s actually a strenuous workout! We structure our missions (laser tag lingo for games) at our outlets into 15 min blocks. We had participants who went “Huh 15 mins per game? Isn’t it too short?” before they booked with us. After they finished 2 missions, they walked in to the reception counter dripping with sweat and said “Ok 15 mins is not short at all! It’s so tiring!”
2. It’s really safe. The technology used is infrared, the same technology for our TV remote controls. No paint, no pain, no flying projectiles (like paintball pellets and nerf gun bullets), no need for safety goggles (which are recommended for nerf guns).
3. It’s not only just for children. Adults love laser tag for corporate team building events too! In fact, we also have had senior citizens camp organisers approaching us to conduct laser tag for their participants.
4. It’s tough work behind the scenes. A lot of pre-event planning has to be done to deliver a fun and great experience. Post-event maintenance of the equipment also takes up a lot of our resources. I’d like to take the opportunity to thank the dedicated team at TAG TEAM for all their blood, sweat and tears.
5. Laser tag is an awesome activity for corporate team building. Laser tag is not about running around and shooting each other, but rather about teamwork, leadership, communication and strategy. TAG TEAM also provides customised team building programmes focusing on other corporate values and activities other than laser tag, sword tag and archery tag. If you really think about it, there are many parallels between the corporate workplace and the ‘battlefield’.
Just a curious question from us, VR (Virtual Reality) and laser tag – possible?
Yes. There are news that there are virtual reality theme parks opening in US which involve elements of laser tag. VR is a very exciting space right now and we are watching it very closely. We are currently working to have our Reza Sword to be compatible with VR, AR (Augmented Reality) and console games. In fact, we currently already have part-real, part-virtual games at our Downtown East outlet. Come check it out!
Thanks for your time John, if anybody needs more information or need to make a booking, where can they go?
Simply go to our website www.tagteaminc.sg or contact us at 6456 4036 /[email protected]!